Wal-Mart wants to become part of the business community in The Dalles by constructing a unique 149,174-square-foot Supercenter that will feature a full-service grocery department, general merchandise departments and a pharmacy offering Wal-Mart’s growing list of $4 generic prescriptions that help customers save money and live better.
The proposed site is currently vacant on the south and west side of River Road, east of Interstate 84.
Wal-Mart brings to The Dalles community:
- A store that reflects The Dalles and complements existing historic architecture.
- Advanced environmentally friendly technologies – high efficiency heating and cooling, low energy grocery case LED lighting, use of recycled products in construction and skylights that track the sun to dim lighting when natural rays are bright enough to illuminate the store.
- Jobs during construction and approximately 200 retail positions for The Dalles and Wasco County.
- Landscaping that incorporates native trees, plants and flowers.
- Investment in infrastructure and public improvements.
Wal-Mart contributes to the local economy by purchasing fresh-grown Oregon produce from local vendors. In 2008, more than $400 million dollars of merchandise and services was purchased from 563 suppliers translating into 28,087 supplier jobs throughout the state.
Wal-Mart is proud to be a “store of the community” for all of the communities it serves by helping to provide financial and volunteer support to local charitable organizations.